October 13, 2014 – Hey! This is Lauren from Healthy Delicious. Today I’m here to share one of my “secret weapons” for healthy weeknight meals: whole wheat gnocchi! Gnocchi are small Italian dumplings made from potatoes and flour. They’re soft, chewy, and incredibly versatile.
Gnocchi is a great change of pace from pasta – and it cooks up in just about 3 minutes! You can swap it in for just about any pasta recipe. We like it with marinara sauce and fresh basil or even baked in cheese sauce as an alternative to macaroni and cheese. Here are a few other ideas:
- Smothered in pumpkin cream sauce (1 can pumpkin puree, 2 cups chicken broth, and ¼ cup half and half).
- Tossed with pesto and steamed broccoli.
- Crisped up in brown butter and mixed with diced roasted vegetables.
- In your favorite soup – I love it in minestrone or in chicken soup with spinach and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Dressed with a creamy yogurt-based lemon sauce, chicken, and zucchini – this recipe is below!
Chicken and Gnocchi with Creamy Lemon Sauce
½ pound Kirkwood Chicken Breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons Carlini Pure Olive Oil, divided
1 tablespoon Stonemill Essentials Oregano
1 lemon, zested and juiced
½ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt, plus additional to taste
½ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper, plus additional to taste
17.6 ounces Priano Whole Wheat Gnocchi
¼ cup Fit & Active Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 zucchini, cut into half moons
4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
4 cups SimplyNature Organic Baby Spinach
¼ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Crushed Red Pepper
4 tablespoons Friendly Farms Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, 1 tablespoon of oil, oregano, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add gnocchi and cook for 3 minutes, drain.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan; scraping up brown bits. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, then add zucchini, mushrooms and lemon zest. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken and spinach and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in gnocchi and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in yogurt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Lauren Keating, Healthy Delicious.