July 7, 2015 – Dorm room cooking can be tough, but we’re here to solve your college food prep problems with easy ways to become a dorm room chef.
Microwaved Eggs – Eggs are an easy and inexpensive way to add protein to a meal. For your favorite egg dishes like poached eggs or even quiche, a microwave can do the trick. Use a microwave-safe cup and let them cook for 45 seconds to a minute.
Coffee Pot Rice – Reach for the coffee pot next time you’re craving rice
- Place ½ a cup of instant rice in the coffee maker.
- Using the suggested water amount from the instant rice package and run water through the coffee maker.
- Leave machine turned on for five to 10 minutes until rice is fully cooked.
Coffee Ice Cubes – College and coffee go hand in hand. Next time you can’t wait for the coffee to cool, plop a coffee-cube or two in your cup. Or, add to iced coffee for a less watered-down beverage.
- Using freshly brewed coffee, pour into an ice cube tray.
- Let the coffee cubes freeze.
- Add to your favorite hot or iced coffee and enjoy.
Waffle Grilled Cheese – Take grilled cheese to the next level with a waffle iron and check out our other waffle iron tips here.
- Butter outside of both pieces of bread.
- Place cheese and other desired ingredients between bread.
- Place together and clamp the waffle iron down.
- Cook until golden brown on each side.
Have a trick of your own? Share your tips in the comments below!