October 15, 2015 – Our A+ Eats recipe contest with Food & Culinary Professionals brought us countless recipes for a deliciously seamless school year. For a spicy, gluten-free take on weeknight dinners, try this Spicy Salsa Dinner Burritos recipe from one of our contest runner-ups!
Spicy Salsa Dinner Burritos
4-5 servings, 1 burrito per serving
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Equipment and Utensils
Liquid measuring cup
Nonstick pan w/ lid
½ cup water
1 can SimplyNature Salad Beans, drained
1 cup SimplyNature Thick & Chunky Medium Salsa
1 cup Fit & Active instant brown rice
5 oz. Fit & Active 2% Milk Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
4-5 liveGfree Gluten-Free Wraps
- Place the water, beans and salsa in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the brown rice, cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Shut off the heat and let the mixture sit for about 7 minutes
- Heat a non-stick skillet on high for a few minutes until warm, add one wrap, sprinkle the cheese cover and heat for one minute until the cheese starts to melt and the wrap softens.
- When this is done, put the wrap on a plate, add ½ cup of the rice bean mixture, to the center of the wrap, fold the bottom up about two inches, then fold the sides of the wrap in and serve.
- Continue to heat the wraps, cheese and add the bean, rice mixture until all 4-5 wraps are made.
This recipe has many pantry ingredients that you can keep in the house at all times- beans, rice, salsa, cheese, tortillas. It is simple to make, does not take much cooking or preparation time and any leftover burritos can be wrapped in foil and reheated the next day. It is also a hand-held dinner that can be eaten in the car on the way to afterschool classes or sports activities.
For another gold-star recipe idea, check out the Grand Prize winning recipe here!