October 3, 2014 – Hi all! It’s Reeni from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice. I’m here to help you kick off soup season with this warm and comforting Lemon Chicken Soup recipe.
This Italian-inspired soup is filled with tender bites of chicken, pasta, fresh baby spinach and chunky pieces of zucchini in a lemon-infused broth seasoned with Italian herbs. You will love the fresh, bright flavor the lemon adds to it! Not only does it go well with chicken, but it naturally complements the spinach and zucchini too.
- To keep the zucchini from getting overly mushy leave the skin on and chop it into fairly large cubes – it will shrink in size as it cooks.
- It’s best to cook the pasta separately and add it to the pot right before you’re going to serve. Otherwise it will soak up all the broth and turn into a pasta dish rather than a soup. If this does happen you can mix in a little water or more broth to make it soupy again.
There’s nothing better than cuddling up with a bowl of hot soup on a chilly autumn or winter night! I hope this one turns into a favorite.
Lemon Chicken Soup
2 tablespoons Carlini Pure Olive Oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt, plus additional to taste
Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 pound Kirkwood Chicken Breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Italian Seasoning
32 ounces SimplyNature Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 zucchini, seeded and sliced
1 ½ cups Fit & Active 100% Whole Grain Penne or short cut pasta*
5 ounces SimplyNature Organic Baby Spinach
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
Reggano Parmesan Cheese
*Available while quantities last. All products may not be available in all stores. Prices subject to change.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, stirring often, about 7 minutes.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the pan with the Italian seasoning and cook, stirring often until chicken is no longer pink. Add the chicken broth, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Add the zucchini, bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package instructions, drain and reserve.
- Reduce Dutch oven heat to low, stir in pasta and spinach. Return to a simmer; reduce heat again to low. Stir in lemon zest, juice and slices. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
TIP: Do not cook soup once lemon slices have been added or it may become bitter.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Reeni Pisano, Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice.