October 2, 2014 – Hey everyone, it’s Cassie from Bake Your Day with you today. I live in the Midwest where we happen to have very defined seasons, and I am so ready for fall. I love to have open windows, football games, changing leaves and — you guessed it — soup!
I love all different kinds of soup and one of my favorites is tortilla soup. Today I’m sharing just that, but with a little twist. I use all things green – green enchilada sauce, jalapenos, green bell peppers, lime, salsa verde and cilantro to create a super flavorful, but amazingly simple, fall soup recipe.
This one has become a favorite in our house! Give it a try and tell us what you think!
Verde Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 ½ pounds Kirkwood Chicken Breasts, trimmed
1 tablespoon Carlini Pure Olive Oil
½ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt
½ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper
½ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Garlic Powder
2 tablespoons Carlini Pure Olive Oil
1 ¼ cups diced red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt
¼ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper
1 cup diced green bell pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
½ cup chopped cilantro, divided
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Oregano
1 cup salsa verde
32 ounces Chef’s Cupboard Chicken Cooking Stock*
2 cups water
9 ounces Clancy’s Blue Corn or Multigrain Tortilla Chips
½ cup crumbled Benita Fresco Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For the chicken: Brush one side of the chicken with half of the olive oil. Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place in a glass baking dish, seasoned side down. Brush the top with remaining olive oil, season with remaining salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then dice.
- For the soup: In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add red onion and garlic; stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add the salt, pepper, bell pepper, green onion, jalapeño, ¼ cup cilantro, lime juice, cumin and oregano. Stir and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables are fragrant and tender.
- Add the salsa verde, chicken stock and water. Stir in the diced chicken, bring to a simmer. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with tortilla chips, fresco cheese and remaining cilantro.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Cassie Laemmli, Bake Your Day.
*Available while quantities last. All products may not be available in all stores. Prices subject to change.