October 9, 2014 – Hey everyone, it’s Liz from A Nut in a Nutshell, and I’m here with a recipe to help make dinnertime easier. Since fall’s busy back-to-school routines, sports practices and social activities don’t leave much time for nightly meal prep, I like to prepare dishes that leave plenty of leftovers for other busy weeknight dinners.
This recipe is a hearty, healthy meal full of fresh vegetables from ALDI’s produce section. I’m always amazed by the wide variety of fruits and veggies I find there year-round, and it’s what inspired me to create this Grilled Sausage with Rustic Vegetables and Pasta dish.
This is one of my go-to recipes for doubling – cook once, eat all week! Happy cooking!
20 ounces Fit & Active Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
16 ounces Reggano Penne Rigate
1 tablespoon Carlini Pure Olive Oil
3 bell peppers, assorted colors, sliced
2 cups mushrooms, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
½ yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
10 ounces Casa Mamita Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
25 ounces SimplyNature Organic Marinara Pasta Sauce
Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper, to taste
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Grill sausage until cooked through.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté peppers, mushrooms and squash for 4 minutes. Add onion and garlic, continue cooking for 4 additional minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Add tomatoes, marinara and black pepper. Reduce heat to low.
- Slice sausage into ¼-inch pieces, add to sauce. Simmer on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil. Serve over penne. Garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Liz Mays, A Nut in a Nutshell.