With the start of the school year quickly approaching, we’ve teamed up with Jessica, our Registered Dietitian, to help you make simple and nutritious meals for your families. Our team of ALDI chefs have been hard at work creating easy recipes that will help keep your kids energized and refreshed this upcoming school year!
Better food choices can help set kids up to do well in school by enhancing memory and improving concentration. It’s easy to load your cart with healthy food at ALDI, so what should kids be eating more of?
-These fats have great benefits for both our bodies and our minds. Our brains are made of up 60% fat and healthy fats from food help support development in children.
Here are a few of our favorite healthy fats to keep your kids sharp at school:
- Avocados- This superfood packs a serious punch when it comes to giving your brain the nutrients it needs to solve problems.
- Nuts – This snack is high in protein, fiber, and are a source of vitamin E. (Products we sell: Southern Grove Walnuts, SimplyNature Almond Butter, Southern Grove Dry Roasted Peanuts)
- Seeds – Much like nuts, seeds provide you with plenty of protein and fiber that will keep your child energized. (Products we sell: Southern Grove Sunflower Seeds, Southern Grove Chia Seeds)
- Fatty fish – Fish is one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids which are nourishing for both the body and the brain! (Products we sell: Sea Queen Wild Caught Salmon, Northern Catch Chunk Light Tuna in Water)
Cruciferous Veggies :
– This family of veggies have beneficial phytochemicals (plant chemicals) that protect and support brain function, and happen to be delicious too!
- SimplyNature Organic Baby Arugula
-Whole grains provide energy and nutrients for proper brain function, keeping your children energized throughout the long school day.
- SimplyNature Organic Quinoa
- Millville Old Fashioned Oats
- Earthly Grains Rice
Get more brain foods into your child’s meal with these dietitian-approved recipes. You’ll find easy recipes for snacking, grab n’ go and lunch options.
PB & J Oatmeal Bar – Peanut butter and Jelly gets a makeover into a portable snack
Spicy Chili Lime Cashew Dip – Serve this dip with sliced bell peppers, grape tomatoes or SimplyNature Exotic Blend Vegetable Chips
Avocado Arugula Dip – We love that cruciferous veggies and healthy fats are blended right into to a flavorful dip
Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip – Perfect for dunking fruit like strawberries, apple slices, and celery sticks
Double Chocolate Protein Muffins – Toss in the lunchbox or have ready as an afterschool snack
Bento Box Sammie – This is a great balanced meal idea from Chef Alyssa complete with kid-friendly portions
Jessica joined the ALDI team as the Corporate Dietitian in January 2016. She completed her nutrition education at the University of Illinois at Chicago with a Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition Science.
Jessica went on to complete her Dietetic Internship in Wellness at Bradley University, where she gained experience with retail, community and clinical nutrition.
Before coming to ALDI, Jessica worked at a health club and at one of the leading natural retailers.