September 23, 2014 – Hi, friends! Amie Valpone of The Healthy Apple here! The best way to create a healthy and delicious meal is to start with organic, wholesome ingredients. When we choose natural, unprocessed foods, it’s hard to go wrong.
This Cheesy Avocado Spinach Pasta is the perfect dish if you want something rich and creamy for dinner tonight. Start with a bowl of cooked pasta, add veggies sautéed with olive oil and garlic, and toss everything with avocado and cheddar for a creamy, cheesy pasta dish that’s loaded with healthy vegetables.
- Spinach is loaded with nutrients like vitamin A and iron and helps with digestion and toxin elimination.
- Spinach is also one vegetable that is actually more nutritious when cooked.
- Tomato is a rich source of many nutrients, such as lycopene, an antioxidant that is associated with bone health.
- A small amount of cheese is a healthy way to add calcium and protein to your diet.
- Avocado and olive oil are great sources of healthy (monounsaturated) fats. The combination of protein, fiber, carbohydrates, and healthy fats will leave you feeling full and satisfied for hours after you eat.
Cheesy Avocado Spinach Pasta
6 ounces LiveGfree Fusilli* or Priano Bronze Cut Fusilli
2 tablespoons Carlini Pure Olive Oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
¼ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt
¼ teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper
5 ounces SimplyNature Organic Baby Spinach
1 large tomato, diced
1 large avocado, diced
¼ cup Fit & Active Shredded 2% Milk Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 4 tablespoons of cooking water, then drain pasta and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add spinach and tomatoes and cook 3 minutes, tossing frequently until they are soft. Toss with pasta.
- Add avocado, cheese and reserved cooking water. Toss until cheese melts. Serve warm.
Recipe and Photos Courtesy of Amie Valpone, The Healthy Apple.