October 26, 2015 – We’ve all heard it before, the foundation to a well-balanced diet means fruits and veggies, but sometimes veggies need a little help from other foods to unleash their full potential. By pairing raw vegetables with other items, you set your plate up for nutrient-dense success. We’ve rounded up some of the best food pairings to ensure you’re getting the most out of your veggies.
- Raw Veggie Salad + Egg – Raw veggies alone are great, but adding an egg—we prefer hard boiled – makes it easier to absorb the carotenoids in the veggies. Carotenoids give produce (think carrots, tomatoes and peppers) their yellow, red and orange colors and can help fight inflammation and diseases.
- Avocado + Tomatoes – When paired with a tomato, the fat in an avocado can help the body absorb carotenoids and converts provitamin A into vitamin A, which aids in bone growth and reproduction and immune system health.
- Red Bell Pepper + Black Beans – Eating produce high in vitamin C, such as a red bell pepper, with iron-fortified foods like black beans helps convert the iron-rich food into a chemical
that promotes absorption of other nutrients.
- Onions + Garlic + Whole Grains – To better absorb the zinc and iron in whole grains like quinoa or brown rice, pair them with garlic and onions. The pungent spices help your body absorb the nutrients while giving your dish an extra kick of flavor.
- Kale + Salmon – Did you know you need the help of vitamin D to absorb calcium? Give kale a helping hand by mixing it with an oily rich fish like salmon. The two served together make for a bone health dream team.
Have a favorite veggie pairing not listed above? Tell us in the comments below! And for more tips on how to use fresh produce, head over to aldi.us.