April 17, 2014 – Hi there! Kristen Doyle of Dine and Dish here! As a busy mom of four, I am always looking for ways to cut my time in the kitchen down, even if it is just by a few minutes. I usually do this by doubling up when I cook ingredients for a recipe. For example, if I know that a recipe I am making tomorrow requires chicken, and I’m cooking chicken tonight, I’ll just double the chicken so I only have to cook it once. If I need onions later in the week and am using onions in something now, I’ll go ahead and dice up what I need now and dice up what I need for later in the week at the same time. It may require a little more effort up front, but makes things super simple later in the week.
Bacon is one of those ingredients that I always double up on, even if I don’t have specific plans for it. Cooked bacon is so versatile that it can be thrown in omelets, soup, used as a sandwich topper and so much more!
I made this Havarti Cheese, Bacon and Chicken Wrap for dinner one night, and knew when I was making it that I’d want extra bacon for omelets the next morning. I simplified my life by doubling the bacon so I had enough cooked to throw in an omelet the next morning. In fact, I diced up some extra orange bell peppers and Havarti cheese as well so the next morning we had the most delicious bacon, bell pepper and Havarti cheese omelets…all I needed to do was beat the eggs and cook it up!
If you are wanting to save time in the kitchen, which as a busy mom, equals saving sanity, I recommend making these chicken wraps for dinner, and double the prep so you can have a simple and relaxed breakfast! Just cook twice the bacon, chop up the other half of the bell pepper and cube four more ounces of Havarti cheese. Store in the refrigerator overnight and use in omelets the next morning.
Havarti Cheese, Bacon and Chicken Wrap
6 slices Specially Selected Center Cut Bacon
1 tbsp. Carlini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lb. Kirkwood Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
¼ cup Specially Selected House Gourmet Vinaigrette dressing
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
½ orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 oz. Specially Selected Havarti Cheese, cubed
1 cup Little Salad Bar Italian salad greens
4 large Fit & Active Original or MultiGrain Wraps
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with foil and place bacon in a single line, not overlapping, on the baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until bacon is crispy. Remove from oven and let cool. Place bacon on a paper towel and blot to remove excess grease. Cut into bite sized pieces.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Carefully add chicken pieces. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through (approximately 10 minutes).
3. Pour house vinaigrette over chicken. Add salt, black pepper and chopped bell pepper. Continue to cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes, or until bell pepper is tender. Remove from heat and stir in bacon pieces.
4. Place wraps in between 2 damp paper towels and heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Remove.
5. Spoon chicken mixture evenly into 4 large wraps. Add cubed Havarti cheese, and Italian Salad greens. Wrap up burrito style and serve warm.
Photos by Kristen Doyle for Dine and Dish.