With the summer in full swing, it’s time for family road trips, water-park adventures and more! We’ve teamed up with Jessica, our Registered ALDI Dietitian, to help you pack and make the perfect summer treats that will keep your family healthy and happy all season long.
Are you gearing up for travel or family activities this summer? To help keep you and your family healthy, I’m sharing tips on how to stay hydrated and energized for a fun-filled summer!
Let’s face it, plane, airport and rest-stop food is subpar at best. I promise if you can pack ahead of time and bring your own healthy goodies on the road, you’ll thank yourself later. Plus, at ALDI you can fill your cart with all you need for summer adventures for less!
Hydration is essential when traveling throughout the summer, so make sure to pack a cooler with chilled drinks. It’s especially important to stay hydrated when enjoying outdoor activities in the summer heat like hiking, swimming or biking. Always carry a refillable water bottle with you, and drink plenty of fluids throughout the day – even before you feel thirsty.
To switch up your water game, try these refreshing alternatives:
Of course you’ll also need nourishing snacks to nibble on during your road trip or day at the beach. Plan ahead with these travel-friendly recipes from our own ALDI Test Kitchen.
- Lunch Box Granola Bars – Chewy bars made with creamy almond butter, oats, and chopped walnuts are perfect for the whole family to enjoy.
- Cranberry Orange Chia Granola – Tasty homemade granola loaded with fiber and healthy fats will keep you sustained at the airport or on a road trip.
- No Bake Coffee Banana Energy Bites – Made from nutritious ingredients like oats and almond butter, these little bites will keep you fueled on the go.
- Fruit Leather Wraps – Fresh berries are in peak season during the summer months so take advantage of them with this portable recipe.
Short on time? Make life easy and add these items to your shopping list:
- Grapes – Toss in the freezer to make frozen grapes for a cool treat.
- Fresh cherries – Antioxidant rich fruit can be portioned in zip lock baggies for easy travel.
- Watermelon slices – This easy and refreshing snack will also help keep the body hydrated.
- liveGfree Gluten Free Granola Crunch – Delicious, crunchy and great for snacking while on the go.
- SimplyNature Dark Chocolate Mocha Almond bar – A mix of satisfying protein and fiber, these are great to toss in your backpack for outdoor activities.
What are your favorite travel snacks?
Jessica went on to complete her Dietetic Internship in Wellness at Bradley University, where she gained experience with retail, community and clinical nutrition.
Before coming to ALDI, Jessica worked at a health club and at one of the leading natural retailers.