April 22, 2015 – You already know ALDI helps you save green, but how can ALDI help you be green? Being green starts with you. That’s why we’ve rounded up a few of our favorite tips to incorporate into your everyday lifestyle that can help you AND the environment.
- Plan Ahead: Most of us make grocery lists when we go shopping, but they usually only cover top-of-mind items and essentials. Though you’re planning to make your grandma’s lasagna from scratch this week, life surprises come up. Before you make your next ALDI trip, plan ahead, look at your calendar and make a weekly menu that fits your schedule to eliminate food waste. Check out some ALDI recipes for inspiration!
- Use-It-Up: Did you know pizza was originally a way for families to clean out their ice box with one easy meal? Once a week, take that mentality and dedicate a night to cleaning out the fridge. Pull all your about-to-expire items for a casserole, frittata, soup or even a pizza. Whether it’s a wilting artichoke or wrinkling tomato, these dishes aren’t picky on the state of produce.
- Preserve Produce: If your produce is still fresh, but you’re going on vacation or won’t be able to make grandma’s lasagna this week, freeze it! You can learn more about freezing veggies in our blog post, Fresh Veggies… From the Freezer!
- Get Scrappy: Save money and eliminate food waste by making vegetable stock! Use peels, stalks and leaves—that you otherwise would throw away—and you have a delicious and economical recipe base. Carrots, celery and onion are essential ingredients when making vegetable stock, but roots, leeks, potatoes, beans, squash and dozens of other veggies work great, too.
- Meatless Monday: You’ve heard the benefits of going meatless for a day, but did you know it could benefit the environment as well? Meat production takes a toll on the earth, requiring millions of gallons of water and fossil fuels a day. Meatless Monday is a small, simple step you can make each week that has a big impact— and it doesn’t even need to be a Monday (Meatless Monday just has a nice ring to it!)
Have a favorite recipe for making stock, Meatless Monday or getting scrappy? Share them below in the comments!