October 19, 2016 – Thanks to all the fans who responded in to our “Ask the Chefs” Facebook post! I loved reading all your suggestions, questions and recommendations. So I, Chef Alyssa, took your ideas to create our newest, must-try Test Kitchen Recipe. As a people pleaser, I tried to incorporate everyone’s ideas into one show-stopping recipe. Here’s what many of you asked for:
- Stuffed Cabbage/Cabbage Roll Recipe
- Slower Cooker/Easy Meal
- Diabetic Friendly
- Low Carb
After much deliberation, I have decided to create …… wait for it… Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls!
This crock-pot newbie fits the bill for a fiber filled, low-carb and diabetic-friendly recipe. I made this dish better-for-you by replacing beef with ground turkey, rice with quinoa and incorporating organics wherever possible.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 20 minutes
28 ounces SimplyNature Organic Diced Tomatoes
2 Tbsp. Tuscan Garden White Vinegar
1 tsp. Stonemill Essentials Paprika
1 tsp. Stonemill Essentials Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Stonemill Essentials Oregano
1 pound Fit & Active 93% Lean/7% Fat Fresh Ground Turkey
1 onion, diced
½ cup cooked SimplyNature Organic Quinoa
1 tsp. Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt
1 tsp. Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper
1 Goldhen Large Egg
1 head cabbage, stemmed, deveined and blanched, about 10 leaves
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, vinegar, paprika, garlic and oregano. Place a thin layer on bottom of slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey, onion, quinoa, salt, pepper and egg.
- Pat cabbage leaves dry and place rib side down. Divide mixture evenly between cabbage leaves.
- Roll each leaf into a cylinder, tucking the sides to create a tight roll.
- Place in slow cooker and cover with remaining sauce. Turn slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Have you pulled the slow cooker out yet? Tell us your favorite recipes in the comments below!