Digestive discomfort can be uncomfortable and unpleasant, but did you know that a healthy gut is one of the keys to optimal health? Jessica Patel, ALDI’s Registered Dietitian shares four simple steps on how to improve digestion today!
Did you know the 30 feet of digestive tract (yes 30 feet!) can influence our immunity, mood and energy? The digestive tract is responsible for breaking down, digesting and absorbing nutrients from the food we eat. The blood absorbs nutrients which get carried throughout the body for energy, growth and repair. Research and health experts around the globe are touting the role of digestive health in disease prevention and overall well-being. If you’re looking to get healthier, here are a few of my favorite simple changes that can make a positive impact on digestion!
1) Eat Probiotic Rich Foods:
Probiotics are friendly bacteria that naturally live in the body’s digestive tract. “Good” bacteria helps protect the immune system, break down food and maintain overall gut health. Stress, antibiotics and poor nutrition can kill off the good stuff, but probiotics can be replenished by the food we eat. Fermented foods contain a healthy dose of probiotics, so try adding these foods to your shopping list:
- SimplyNature Apple Cider Vinegar
- SimplyNature Whole Milk Plain Yogurt, Friendly Farms Kefir
- Deutsche Kuche Sauerkraut
2) Add More Fiber:
Most Americans don’t eat enough fiber rich foods (think: fruits, veggies and whole grains). To keep your belly happy and healthy, slowly add in more of fiberous foods to prevent bloating and cramps. Added bonus: fiber makes its way through the gut providing a food source for friendly bacteria to flourish. There are so many fiber rich foods but here are a few to add to your shopping cart to start:
- SimplyNature Organic Mixed Greens
- SimplyNature Organic Flax Seeds
- SimplyNature Organic Quinoa
- SimplyNature Organic Black Beans
- Millville Oats
3) Chew Your Food:
An essential part of the digestive process is to simply chew your food thoroughly to mush. Instead of rushing through meals, try to eat mindfully by slowing down and chewing food really well. You’d be surprised how this simple tip can improve digestive discomfort!
4) Drink More Water:
Drinking enough fluids is vital to help keep things “moving” through the gut, preventing constipation and keeping your body hydrated.
Looking for more ways to stay healthy? Try out these digestion friendly recipes from the ALDI Test Kitchen!
- Rise and Shine Lemonade Zinger: A refreshing probiotic drink with apple cider vinegar, apples, blueberries and grilled lemons. Plan ahead: Make a batch, place in a mason jar or sealed container and have for a few days.
- Flaxseed Cracker with Cantaloupe Yogurt Dip: Easy-to-make seeded crackers with a yogurt-based dip.
- Blackberry Avocado Smoothie Bowl: A satisfying breakfast bowl full of flavor and boasts 15 grams of fiber.
- Chicken Tortilla Chili: A hearty, nourishing version of the classic Mexican soup.
Jessica went on to complete her Dietetic Internship in Wellness at Bradley University, where she gained experience with retail, community and clinical nutrition.
Before coming to ALDI, Jessica worked at a health club and at one of the leading natural retailers.