April 15, 2015 – The summer grilling season is almost upon us and if you haven’t befriended dry rubs in the past, it’s time! The right combination of spices can give any type of steak endless layers of flavor from sweet and spicy Cajun to smoky Tex Mex.
Adding flavor doesn’t always have to mean adding calories, either. Did you know that rubs may also serve as a better-for-you option when preparing meat for the grill? Try to stick with rubs that don’t call for too much salt – your taste buds won’t even know the difference!
Click on the names of the steak rubs in the chart below to learn how to create!
Master the art of the rub with these simple tricks:
- Two ways to apply the rub:
- Sprinkle it over your preferred meat and rub it onto the surface with your fingertips. Make sure to apply the rub generously and give it a light massage for the most flavorful steak.
- If you don’t want to get your hands dirty, mix the rub ingredients in a large plastic bag, add your meat, seal and shake. This is a great way to get the kids involved, too!
- If time allows, prepare your rubs and meats the night before. Letting spiced food sit in the refrigerator for several hours before cooking allows the juices to soak in the flavors.
- Get creative and be daring! Start with your basic flavors and build on them: add paprika for color, crushed red pepper for heat or oregano for an earthy hint. A dash of this, a pinch of that – experiment with different spice combinations to cater to your taste buds.
Test your hand at creating your own flavor combination and tell us your secret ingredient in the comments!Home | Previous Page